“There’s no real way to know exactly what caused it,” said Carrot Ridge Fire Chief Andrew Puckett of the fire that destroyed the home of Shane Bytheway of Woodland last Sunday evening.
“They lost the house; they lost all their stuff in it. Basically they were washing some clothes, they went outside to hang up the laundry not even 20 feet from the house and heard some noise, turned around, looked inside, and they could see some black smoke in the windows,” added Puckett.
The whole inside had been re-done with tongue-and-groove wood paneling that accelerated the blaze.
When Bytheway opened the front door, the fire had been starving for oxygen and caused a backdraft, shattering two windows.
Crews from the Kamiah Fire Department and Idaho Department of Lands were on scene to help the Carrot Ridge Volunteer Fire Department control the fire from spreading to acreage and structures surrounding the Bytheway home. The Kamiah Ambulance also responded.
According to Puckett, the state fire marshal evaluated the incident and felt it didn’t warrant further investigation.